Monday, November 19, 2007

Can Women be Theologians?


I was challenged by Carolyn Custis James (author).
She spoke at the CCEF conference I went to begining of November, and was totally blessed! I know this looks long, but READ the interview below, it's really challenging and true! Tell me your thoughts on this!

We are called to be thinker's of God's Word. And can NOT leave it for the "experts" to handle it. This is a picture of Carolyn James up-coming book...which I plan on reading once school slows down!

Check out her interview:

"The following is an candid conversation between author and speaker, Carolyn Custis James and President of New Growth Press, Karen Jacklin Teears:


Karen
: In your work with the Whitby Forum, you state that part of your mission is to encourage women in their pursuit of a deeper relationship with God. You also state that "theologian is simply another word for Christian." For the everyday woman, why is the word theologian, as it applies to our everyday lives, necessary? Don't we have enough buzzwords around our faith? Isn't it enough to just be a Christian?

Carolyn
: Using a strong term like "theologian" jars us out of our complacency and compels us to consider what I believe is one of the most serious issues facing women today. We live theological lives. We're called to live by faith in a God we can't see, in a fallen world where our heartaches, losses, and tragedies make no sense to us. Trouble brings out the theologian in us. As I wrote in When Life and Beliefs Collide, "The moment the word 'why' crosses your lips, you're doing theology." There's no way to avoid it.

J.I. Packer describes the person who neglects the study of God as "stumbling and blundering through life with no sense of direction and no understanding of what surrounds you." I don't want to do that myself and I don't want to sit back while my sisters in Christ try to survive on fluff.
We need a wake-up call. We need to get serious about getting to know our God. By self-consciously pursuing a deeper understanding of God, we fortify ourselves for the challenges and difficulties that will inevitably come our way.

Karen: Your teachings on women and gender roles have ignited substantial levels of debate amongst theologians. Did that come as a surprise to you? How have you dealt with the seeming backlash of criticism from many in evangelical circles?

Carolyn: I have three brothers, so I can't say I'm surprised by criticism. However, I will say, there's a big difference in the criticism that comes from people who love and want the best for you and the criticism that comes from those who don't.

It's flattering to think my work has "ignited substantial levels of debate." If that were true, I'm sure it would be good for book sales. To be honest, I think that's overstating things. Yes, my work has been criticized, but actually the biggest surprise has been the wonderful support I have received.

Many Christian leaders have written on the theme of the importance of theology for Christians. But no one has taken up the importance of theology for women."

*Taken from The Gospel of Ruth by Carolyn Custis James. Copyright 2008. Used by permission of Zondervan

1 comment:

The M Family said...

i would leave a comment about carolyn but we already talked about her earlier... :)
on a different note though, i look forward to more anna posts! i'm glad you're back in the blogosphere! we love you tons!
jennifer :)