Wednesday, June 25, 2008

change is hard, but not impossible in Christ!

Check out this article! It really was helpful today. John Piper is explaining the importance of treasuring Christ above all else. He described what it means to covet:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There is no difference between the Hebrew word for desire and the Hebrew word for covet. Coveting means desiring something too much. And too much is measured by how that desiring compares to desiring God. If desiring leads you away from God rather than closer to God, it is covetousness. It is sin."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was struck with the fact that this is a daily struggle in my life. I am quick to compare myself with others in "blessings" the Lord has given them and not me. Even today, my heart struggled with coveting over what a dear friend of mine received. My response was sinful in my heart. I responded in questioning God in why He hasn't given me that blessing! I repented to the Lord and realized how much my heart is so prone to deceive me. The truth is I am greatly blessed!! I have been given a wonderful Redeemer who has qualified me to share in His inheritance through the blood He has shed! "All You have shown me is grace, love and mercy. Now and forever I am Your child." I wonder if the Lord ever grows tired of my complaining?!! eeeee!! Oh me of little faith!
Thankfully, God is greater then our hearts (1 John 3:20)! He is teaching me so much in this time and in all of His delays and detours, He is using it all for my very good! May the Lord continue to mature us from our former way of thinking and idols in our hearts (idolaters, enviousness, and all bitterness) ...and may He continue to make us treasurers of Christ alone!
heart questions:
  • Am I satisfied in all that God promised to be for me in Christ?
  • Am I treasuring anything or anyone in a way that competes with God’s supreme place in my life?
so, READ the article, it's helpful!
May we treasure Christ in the midst of our fight against our idolatrous and "idol making" hearts! For now we are NEW creations in Christ! For He is able to do this in us and has given us much grace to walk forward in obedience, unto His glory! Amen! (1 John 4:4)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I think for sure you're going to publish a book soon! You are so wise sweet sister of mine! I love you and I love your vulnerability and humility! You are so right...we can only compare ourself to the cross! I, too am so in need of growth! Thank goodness for His forgiveness and grace!!! I LOVE you lots and lots!

Anonymous said...

I love you Anna! What a great post! I can't wait to check out the link! God is so kind to us we are very blessed! I too need to be thankful for this God ordained detour I'm on. It is causing me to seek Him and to continue to trust Him even in circumstances that are not my favorite! He is so good!

~ Ali

Anonymous said...

Dear sweet Anna,
What wonderful insight our Lord has given you. You are so right we are richly blessed. Only the enemy would have us believe us otherwise. God is so for us and has blessed us with all we need. Our Lord is so good to us. I love following Him in all of our lives.

love and hugs,
mom

D Lewis said...

Anna: What a neat post! It is a message that is of such value to each of us. I think we all get caught at times questioning our Lord, but I also know that when pressed, we know deep within that His ways are best and are intended to turn out to our benefit - God is for us.... God is For ANNA!

Thanks for the great post, words like this keep us focused and open to Him!

Anonymous said...

Anna,

Just got a chance to read the John Piper link. Wow! Great tips on keeping my heart from coveting!

Thanks for passing this my way!

You are the BEST!

~ Ali

A Beautiful Mess said...

Came across this post because Google found the phrase "All You have shown me is grace, love and mercy" from that Sovereign Grace song. Great post by Piper, he's definitely someone I "keep my eyes on." Thanks for sharing.

A Beautiful Mess said...

Oops this is Chris, not Charice, I just signed in under my wife's name. LOL

Alex S. Leung said...

Oh kool.. you're a blogger! We gotta get Kasey onto this whole blogging thing :)