Thursday, July 17, 2008

Kept By God in Christ

I am so thankful that the Lord is my Keeper. I am at work right now and was just reading through the Valley of Vision prayers. Which is always refreshing reminder of the Gospel. I originally was just going to post a prayer below, but wanted to share my interesting conversation I just had...

We just had our 15 minute break and I was talking to this guy at work, who happens to be a devout Mormon who did a 2-year mission in Thailand.

...On a side note, I have a heart for Mormons and there are several I work with. Several years ago I got to live in Salt Lake City for a summer and serve with Hidden Valley Presbyterian Church. I spent the summer loving on the youth group girls and encouraging them with the Gospel of grace found in Christ alone. It was an incredible summer growing in the knowledge of Christ and how we were saved only through His grace, not by works. It was such a blessing to work this Gospel-centered and Christ-exalting church, I am forever changed through my time spent in Utah! Pray for this church to continue to be a light in a city that clings to Mormon belief's of works-based salvation to receive peace with God! Oh my heart needs to be more burden for the deceived and lost around me, for apart from grace in Christ I would be in the same place!

...Okay, now that you are caught up to speed...we (my co-worker and I) just had some good dialogue at break that has left me challenged! It started off by him asking how my j-term class went because I had told him I was taking a class over the New Testament last week. Now it gets tricky! The thing that blows me away is that what I explained about the New Testament, he agreed with me. I tried to prob more questions to him about why the Mormon's used there Book of Mormon's in addition to the Bible. You can tell that he has had a lot of experience in explaining what they believe. Yet, they use the very same terminology as Christians do! It's hard to get any where because they think we are meaning the same thing, when I say key words like, "gospel" and "grace" and "salvation". We had to get back to work, but I said to him that I would like to continue to discuss this more later. He agreed.

I'm explaining this story because I'm asking for two things:

  1. Prayer. Please pray for my Mormon friends here at work. That the Lord would give me favor and wisdom in discussing true Christianity with them in how the absolute truth found in the Bible competes and wins over Mormonism. That the Spirit of God would move and soften their hearts to desire to know the true God of Scripture and bring conviction of the fallacies of their belief and in His kindness bring them to repentance and faith in Christ.
  2. Can anyone have any tips in evangelizing to Mormon's? I see that its over my head and totally dependent on the Holy Spirit's work. I need to grow in understanding still and knowing how to communicate clearly the excellencies of God and dispute their wrong-thinking and teaching! Again, this is so humbling and sobering that the God of creation would use His little children to declare the goodness of God in the face of Christ! So really, if you could help me with tools and ideas of communicating clearly to them, let me know! Please PRAY for much grace in all of this!!
Oh how I take for grant it the grace I have been given in Christ. That it was His complete righteousness that I needed and the only way I could ever have peace with God. It was His life, death and resurrection that was necessary, for there would not be forgiveness of sins without it! For Christ is my only Hope for today and eternity....may we declare the true Gospel to all we encounter. For His Return is sooner then ever! Let's hasten' His Return together, unto His glory alone! Amen!

"Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!" -Romans 11:3

5 comments:

GloryandGrace said...

I'm a horrible friend and haven't emailed you back yet! I'm actually in the process of wrapping my take-home final for the summer class I took.

I will absolutely be praying for you on this - I know I have always been convicted and challenged in unique ways when it comes to Mormons. If I think of anyone, or any resources, I'll let you know!

Michawn said...

Anna,

Hey, when I lived in Phoenix and worked for a pastor part-time, one of my tasks one day was to listen to a teaching by Jim Robertson. He and his wife are former Mormons and they now have a ministry for former Mormons, or those trying to "get out." They written several books and also have a great website. You should really check them out. The teaching that I listened to was INCREDIBLE! In fact, I still have my notes on my computer from it if you want to see them. If you are interested, just email Alisha or Aimee for my email address if you don't have it. Email me and I'll shoot it off to you, O.K.? I'll be praying for you. That is a very challenging mission field for sure.

http://www.concernedchristians.org/terms.php#G

Michawn said...

Oh, and that link is a page on the website of Jim and Judy Robertson. The whole website has lots of great info, but I just copied and pastes that page...great examples of the differences of terminology.

Anna said...

jennifer-no prob! it's been busy with summer-school for me too! i would love to catch up with you soon! i'm leaving for texas tomorrow, but when i get back (aug.1) we should find time soon after for coffee! :) hope the Lord is refreshing you with the goodness of the Gospel this summer! :)

michawn-so good to hear from you! thank you for the website! i looked at it and it seems to be helpful! there is so much to this topic! i just need more grace to be a bold witness! sometimes my fear of man comes out when i'm around them...but the Lord is gracious to provide and change hearts! just want to grow in faithfulness in speaking out the truth of the Gospel of hope.

blythe said...

Hey Anna--

I highly recommend Letters to a Mormon Elder and Is the Mormon My Brother? by James White. Excellent books! God bless you as you share His light!!

Love ya,
Blythe